AMOOKOS is a closed East-West Tantric magical study and research group.
Formed by Lokanath (Mike Magee) at the request of the late Lawrence Miles (aka Gurudev Mahendranath) of Mehmdabad, Gujarat as part of his Western householder transmission of the tantric Kaula and Nath lineages, this transmission supplemented magical work that Lokanath had already completed with the Tantrarajatantra in the Typhonian Order (formerly the Typhonian OTO). AMOOKOS has since built strong links with a range of other Tantric, Taoist, Buddhist, Sufi and western occult lineages, synthesizing and applying a unique approach to occultism.
Our approach to Tantra is rooted in the recognition that the world around us is not something to be retreated from. We make no distinction between the “sacred” and the “mundane”; we seek freedom and wonder within and through the world of everyday concerns: our relationships: work, friends, families.
AMOOKOS is based on the following five guiding principles.
1. Direct experience. Direct experience is the most important touchstone of AMOOKOS. No idea can substitute for experience. We achieve this by doing.
2. Personal autonomy. Whenever we act purposefully we embark on a journey leading simultaneously towards both freedom and connectedness – autonomy. We realise it through our connection to others, through interaction, negotiation, and communication. To develop personal autonomy is not to be alone or to act in any way one chooses but to act with regard for others, to feel responsibility for others.
3. Self-expression. Self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.
4. Gifting. AMOOKOS is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value. The most common gift in AMOOKOS is time and energy, whether for sharing learning, sharing practice, writing, coaching, or running websites, etc.
5. Communal Effort. AMOOKOS promotes social interaction through collective acts of gifting. We value cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public and private spaces, and methods of communication that support such interaction.
If these patterns and principles are ignored, an individual or group ceases to represent AMOOKOS.
AMOOKOS has, at times, been an initiatory group, providing instruction and mentoring to individuals setting out on their own path of occult exploration. The individuals path is and should be the individuals own responsibility. Linking this to a ‘school’ can stop the individual from actively experimenting and this has never been encouraged by AMOOKOS. Individuals may choose to approach AMOOKOS members for coaching on their magical development, but acceptance is not guaranteed and self reliance is advised.
Amookos.org is a service gifted by MahKaka(Great Crows) Zonule, formed in 1987 by Vishvanath.